We are planning on having a litter pick on a Wednesday afternoon in the next few weeks, so can the PLHS Eco Group please let Ms. Hogg know if you’re free so we can confirm a date soon. Thanks.
We asked 8 people at random in Preston Lodge How they would describe PL in one sentence:
“It is a safe, healthy environment which pupils can relax and learn in.”-S3 Student
“Preston Lodge is a school where i can feel safe and have fun with my learning.”- S3 Student.
“A busy place, loaded with potential in sport, music and academics.” – Ms Bain, Librarian
“A laid back, fun learning environment.” – Ms. Lloyd, Teacher.
“PL is big, fun and exciting!” – S1 Student
“Full of fantastic people!” – Ms. Duthie, Teacher.
“PL is a posisitive, happy and respectful school.” – Mr Redford, Teacher
“It’s good.” – S2 Student
Meeting Notes: 27.09.10
- New Members, we need new first years!
- Now working towards Green Flag, what we need to do and how to do it. We need to look at litter as one of the three topics. We also need an environmental review and an action plan…
- We should look at the school grounds as an environment as there is lots of life and not litter it etc.
- LITTER! We need to put it in the bin
- Curriculum Oddit
- How does the environment fit into all the school subjects?
There will be an eco group meeting next monday in the Fabric Room. All first years and any other new members are welcome to come along, bring your lunch!
2010 is an important year. The United Nations have declared it ‘The International Year of Biodiversity’.
To celebrate this, East Lothian Council and a few organisations are running competitions to help celebrate this event and raise awareness.
1) Photography competition.
The Scottish Seabird Centre are running a photography competition to co-incide with the Year of Biodiversity.
Entries are now being taken for their Nature Photography competition. The competition entry may be a class or an individual entry.
Closing date – 31st October.
For more information visit
or email email@example.com
2) ‘Biodiversity’ Writing competition.
Supported by East and Midlothian Councils, Butterfly World and Tyne and Esk Writers.
Open to S1 – S4.
Entries can be poetry or prose. Collect an entry form from a member of the Biology department. Entries must be with Mrs Bain the school librarian by 1st of October 2010
3) Check out the UN Biodiversity website . It includes a link to the ‘Red list organism of the day’, the red list being a database of organisms in real danger of extinction unless action is taken.
Follow the link http://www.cbd.int/2010/welcome/
The PLHS Eco Team meetings will resume after the summer. Have a great holiday and we’ll see you in September!
Finally we can show you our much awaited Eco Film that has been put into the SusTrans Competition…
[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/VgvosH5ex5A?rel=0" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]
Please give us your comments!