Home Economics as a Core subject will include the following:-
- Introduction to nutrients learning why each nutrient is necessary for good health.
- Practical work will relate to nutrient sources.
- Introduction to individual needs of different groups and understanding range of issues, using knowledge of nutrients.
- Opportunity to relate learning through a project on ‘How to ensure good health’ – looking at issues such as diet, exercise, lifestyle choices and personal hygiene.
- Using their creative skills design and make an individual Christmas cake.
- Practical tasks to include:
Variety of cooking methods – learning different cookery methods can affect taste, texture and nutrient content
Meeting individual needs – learning how different individuals need different amounts of specific nutrients e.g. teenagers will need more carbohydrates than the elderly.
Design challenges – Themed cookery/ Christmas cake
Variety of dishes to meet desired health targets – Dishes related to each nutrient e.g. Protein – Chilli con carne
This course will be taught 1 period per week following the cycle of
covering theory the first week followed by the related practical the next