Nuffield Placement Scheme 2016
Please see below for information and guidance notes on how to apply for the Nuffield Placement Scheme 2016.
I am happy to announce that the Online Applications for Nuffield Research Placements 2016 opened on 26th October 2015.
Below is a summary of the application process:
The Nuffield Research Placement Scheme is aimed at the current 5th year students who will be sitting their Highers in 2016 and who are studying any Science, Technology, Engineering and/or Maths (STEM) subjects at that level (e.g. Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Geography, Computing, Home Economics/Food Technology, Psychology, Music Technology, Product Design, Technological Studies etc).
Students apply by completing an online application form which can be accessed on the Nuffield Research Placement webpage at http://www.nuffieldresearchplacements.org/
The application form has various sections – personal details, education, personal statement, teacher reference, parent consent, bursary application (if appropriate).
- Once the students register, they insert an email address of the teacher who is to provide them with a reference. This automatically initiates an email to that teacher and allows them to log on to the student application, where they can view the various sections and include their reference.
- After the closing date (Feb 26th 2016), appropriate sections of the application will be forwarded to various supervisors for their consideration – this may then involve an informal interview.
- If a student and/or teacher has contact details of anyone in local industries/organisations who could offer a placement, they can let us know and include their details on their application. We can then follow this up.
- If successful, the student agrees start and finishing dates with their supervisor. The placements normally take place at the end of June, July or early August. The student will normally be working Mon-Fri (9am-5pm) for 4, 5 or 6 weeks. Students should therefore be made aware that is quite a big commitment.
- Students will receive all their travel costs to and from their placement. If they fulfil the criteria as set out in the application form, they may also be eligible for an additional bursary.
- Successful students are required to submit a report at the end of their placement and are also invited to display their work in poster form at a celebration event in the Royal College of Physicians in Edinburgh (as in a scientific conference). Next year’s event will be on Friday 2nd September 2016.
PLEASE note – there are a limited number of placements available and as such an application does NOT guarantee a Nuffield placement.
The placements help increase confidence and improve key skills including practical, communication, report-writing and presentation skills. It also provides students with excellent experiences & skills to include on CV’s and personal statements. By working with professional scientists and engineers in a real-life environment, the students gain an invaluable insight into a wide variety of careers.
More information on the Nuffield Research Placements scheme can be found at http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/nuffield-research-placements