The Year in Industry (YINI) Scheme is excited to offer paid placement opportunities to school leavers in the Central Scotland area, interested in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. We have worked with this employer for many years, and we’re delighted to be working with them again this year. Placed students will remain part of our scheme, and receive Mentor support, free access to our skills webinars, and will have the opportunity to gain an Industrial Cadets accreditation to Platinum Level.
Vacancy Ref: 118EPSC
What is The Year in Industry (YINI)?
YINI is part of the Engineering Development Trust (EDT) and is a not-for-profit organisation offering Pre-university/ post Higher students a free extra resource when searching for year out, paid work placements. These placements give students the opportunity to check out STEM careers, make informed decisions about which study or career path to take and can lead to sponsorship or apprenticeship opportunities.
Host Placement Company Overview
The company is seeking a number of school leavers or undergraduate engineering students to support the District Teams. The successful candidate will be working with an international energy company that owns and operates electricity transmission and distribution networks in Central and Southern Scotland, Merseyside, Cheshire, North Shropshire, and North & Mid Wales. This company keeps the power flowing to around 3.5m homes and businesses, it operates in a government-regulated environment with targets set by the UK regulator Ofgem and is central to delivering the UK’s Net Zero ambitions to tackle climate change. The company has supported award-winning Year in Industry students for many years with great success stories.
Start: September 2022 for 12 months (Temporary role, Full Time)
Locations: Telferton House, Edinburgh District office, Kilmarnock office, Bonnybridge or Glenrothes district office (can be either), St Vincent Crescent, Glasgow, Cambuslang district office
Disciplines: Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or other relevant engineering discipline
Closing date: 17/06/2022 (Interested students should register via our website on or before this date https://www.etrust.org.uk/yini-register)
Person Profile/Required Qualifications
You will be required to support the District team in engineering, design or project management tasks, to deliver safe, quality, innovative, cost-effective network solutions, to meet today’s sustainability and environmental challenges, to help the business deliver a low carbon net-zero future.
Activities and Responsibilities
- Gain an understanding of Distribution assets.
- Support on SAP or other IT systems.
- Track Departmental Progress (Scorecard)
- Undertake specific engineering project work commensurate with level of experience and skills
- Should have a reasonable knowledge of MS Office and in particular excellent Excel skills.
- Qualifications – at a level and discipline to potentially secure a place on an engineering degree or on a degree course that covers electrical/mechanical engineering skills.
Ideally, the person would have had a part-time job previously to demonstrate business practices and awareness
MS Office- In particular Teams and Excel
- Good standard of written English
- Basic awareness or experience of business practices
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Proactive problem solver
- Good communicator
- Team player
- Willingness to learn
- Complete an online application via the YINI website: https://www.etrust.org.uk/yini-register
- Email your interest to Ellen Pugsley at email@example.com stating this vacancy reference number, your YINI Reference (if you’ve already applied to YINI)
Please note that you will need to be registered with the YINI scheme to apply for placements (you can register using the link above).