Pathways have been working with the in-house legal team at RBS, who are offering a work experience opportunity for current S4/S5 students, with an interest in studying law/business (this may include accountancy and economics), and who meet the legal profession’s PRIME commitment. Please note that this is also open to students who are not signed up to Pathways to the Professions.
Students are eligible for a place on a PRIME work experience placement if they:
1. attend a state (non-fee paying) secondary school, and
2. either would be of the first generation in their immediate family to attend university or are (or have been) eligible for free school meals.
Applications will also be accepted from those with other exceptional social, educational, financial or other personal obstacles (this may for example include students who are carers, or have been in care). Students can provide information in the additional information section on the application form.
Applications (see below) to be submitted by Fri 28 March 2014, by e-mail to RBSLegalFirstStepProgramme.Edinburgh@rbs.co.uk
What does the programme involve?
The RBS Legal department will be hosting the week. They are supporting efforts to increase social mobility and to encourage young people to consider a career in law/business. They want to inspire students, opening their minds to the opportunities available. Whilst there will be some focus on law, including visits to a law firm and the courts, there will also be sessions covering the following: understanding financial institutions and the career opportunities available; life as a young lawyer; presenting skills; the importance of a growth mindset; confidence-building and sessions to help prepare students with the transition from school to university.
The programme is designed to give eligible students a real insight into working life, to support them to aspire to great things and achieve their full potential and to help them decide whether law or a career in business is something they really wish to pursue.
When/where is it?
Monday 16 June to Friday 20 June 2014 – travel costs will be reimbursed and lunch provided daily. Students will be required to make their own way to and home from the venue/s. It is in term time, so permission to attend would be required from the school as well as a parent/guardian.
Location – Edinburgh, including RBS Gogarburn office (by the airport) and town centre locations.
Applying/getting extra information
• Programme overview – see below for a full overview of the programme
• Permission from school – students will need to get permission from their school to apply, as if successful, they will be out of school during term time. The application form requires teacher approval for the applicant’s absence from school
• Permission from parents must also be given, as per the application form.
• Applications (form attached) to be submitted by Fri 28 March 2014, by e-mail to RBSLegalFirstStepProgramme.Edinburgh@rbs.co.uk
• Confirmation of places will take place by Friday 6 April 2014 – to both student and teacher
• For more information – teachers, parent/guardians or students can email RBSLegalFirstStepProgramme.Edinburgh@rbs.co.uk