S@S Accelerate offer two summer programmes, which are held at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow, for pupils at the end of S4, S5 and thinking about going to University. It aims to provide a targeted focus on the pupils’ chosen area of academic interest, giving them a head start on the road to their chosen career.
In 2016, there are ten areas pupils can choose from, depending on their career aspirations:
S@S Accelerate 1 (Monday 20th – Friday 24th June 2016)
- Mini Space Academy (Electronic & Electrical Engineering)
- Product Design
S@S Accelerate 2 (Monday 25th – Friday 29th July 2016)
The cost of S@S Accelerate is £125 and the programme it is non-residential.
Please visit our website for further information: http://www.strath.ac.uk/sees/wideningaccess/
Consent packs for vaccinations from NHS Lothian were distributed to pupils in S3 to S6 on Tuesday 1 December.
Every year, pupils in S3 are offered the Teenage booster to complete their life long protection, through routine immunisations, against tetanus, diphtheria and polio.
In addition this year all S3 – S6 pupils are recommended a meningitis vaccine (ACWY). This is to protect against the W strain of meningitis which is on the increase across the UK.
Please read the letter, discuss the vaccinations and return completed and signed consent forms to school by Friday 11 December.
S6 INDUCTION 8th and 9th JUNE 2015
Please remember to return your PC1 form and baby photo to the school office as soon as possible. Thank you.
If you are in S4-6 and are due to be sitting SQA exams shortly and have NOT yet received your examination timetable, please contact the school office as a matter of urgency. Many thanks.
Please see below letter that was recently distributed to all S4-6 students. Further copies can be obtained from the office or downloaded. The exam leave sheet should be returned to the school office no later than Tuesday 31 March.
There will be an important Assembly about SQA exam levels which you must attend
1.45 pm on Wednesday 1 April
Come directly to the Assembly Hall from lunch.
All current S4 and S5 need to hand in their course choice forms to their Guidance teacher by Friday this week (20th March).
Please ensure you hand the form in whether you are staying on to school next year or not and make sure you and your parent/guardian have signed the form
A reminder that all students who wish to take part in the senior phase coaching programme should return the proforma to the office asap.
Applications will open on 22nd October 2014.
The Nuffield Research Placement Scheme is aimed at current 5th year students who will be sitting their Highers in 2015 and who are studying any Science, Technology, Engineering and/or Maths (STEM) subjects at that level (e.g. Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Geography, Computing, Home Economics/Food Technology, Psychology, Music Technology, Product Design, Technological Studies etc).
- Students apply by completing an online application form which can be accessed on the Nuffield Research Placement webpage at http://www.nuffieldresearchplacements.org/
- The application form has various sections – personal details, education, personal statement, teacher reference, parent consent, bursary application (if appropriate).
- Once the students register, they insert an email address of a teacher who is to provide them with a reference. This automatically initiates an email to that teacher and allows them to log on to the student application, where they can view the various sections and include their reference.
- After the closing date (Feb 27th 2015), appropriate sections of the application will be forwarded to various supervisors for their consideration – this may then involve an informal interview.
- If a student and/or teacher has contact details of anyone in local industries/organisations who could offer a placement, they can let us know and include their details on their application. We can then follow this up.
- If successful, the student agrees start and finishing dates with their supervisor. The placements normally take place at the end of June, July or early August. The student will normally be working Mon-Fri (9am-5pm) for 4, 5 or 6 weeks. Students should therefore be made aware that is quite a big commitment.
- Students will receive all their travel costs to and from their placement. If they fulfil the criteria as set out in the application form, they may also be eligible for an additional bursary.
- Successful students are required to submit a report at the end of their placement and are also invited to display their work in poster form at a celebration event in the Royal College of Physicians in Edinburgh (as in a scientific conference). Next year’s event will be on Friday 4th September 2015.
PLEASE note – there are a limited number of placements available and as such, an application does NOT guarantee a Nuffield placement.
The placements help increase confidence and improve key skills including practical, communication, report-writing and presentation skills. It also provides students with excellent experiences & skills to include on CV’s and personal statements. By working with professional scientists and engineers in a real-life environment, the students gain an invaluable insight into a wide variety of careers.
More information on the Nuffield Research Placements scheme can be found at http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/nuffield-research-placements
Could all new S6 students (current S5) please come to the Common Room on Monday 23 June at the following times to be fitted for a blazer:
5Go1 Period 1
5Go2, 5Gr1 Period 2
5Gr2, 5Se1 Period 3
5Se2, 5Se3 Period 4
Please see below letter that was sent to all S5 students on Thursday 5 June.
For any student who is sitting an exam in the next few weeks, exam timetables will be distributed by your register teacher on Wednesday 23 April. Please check this carefully to ensure that all exams you are sitting are mentioned and that your address is your current one as this is where your SQA certificate will be sent. Any problems please see Mrs Smith in the office as soon as possible.
Any senior phase student (S4-6) who is leaving school after the exams must complete a leavers form – this includes all S6 students.
These forms can be obtained from the school office. They should be completed at the end or towards the end of your exams and handed back into the office.