Yesterday we asked what clothing people normally wear to a Burns Supper. Traditionally men wear kilts and ladies wear a full length tartan skirt.
Kilts and Tartan
- Kilts were the traditional dress of men and boys in the Scottish Highlands in the 16th century
- They are often made of a woollen cloth in a tartan pattern
- Tartan is a pattern made up of horizontal and vertical stripes in different colours, on a coloured background
- The interwoven stripes are known as a sett.
- Originally, clans people used local plants, mosses and berries to dye the wool.
If you could create your own tartan what would it look like, what colours would you use?
Have a go at making your own, colour in your own tartan using this blank sheet – Design your own Tartan
Or create your own tartan using paper, you will need different coloured paper, sticky tape glue and scissors
- Cut 4 or 5 strips of paper or card all at the same length
- Lay the strips down leaving a small gap in between. Keep them in place using
a strip of sticky tape
- Cut out 4 or 5 more strips in a different colour and weave them up and over the first strips
- Once you’re happy with your very own tartan use some glue to stick it
to a piece of paper or card
Did you see any tartan patterns when you went on a pattern hunt ? Here is the tartan pattern I found.
Look at this amazing tartan! I love how you have made it into a kilt. Well done!