Barrington Stoke is a specialist publisher for dyslexic and struggling readers age 8-18+.The concept is simple: First class fiction by famous authors presented in a form that is easily accessible- Reading age 8 or below.
Already widely used by Scottish High Schools in both Learning Support departments and libraries, we now have growing demand from Primary schools.
2008 sees our 10th Birthday and we are happy to work with Advisers and Quality Improvement teams to support any events /initiatives that may be planned by offering a free book to teachers attending. Once teachers know about us we find they really like our books and say students are motivated to read more.
If you or any of your colleagues would like to arrange an appointment to see some of our titles and learn more about what Barrington Stoke can offer schools , please contact me on the number below.
Alternatively you can e-mail me at email@example.com
As part of our 2008 birthday celebrations we will be launching a new series called SOLO for 11-13 year olds but with a reading age of 6.5. Our materials have always been well received and the success of the company has been built on producing quality fiction, written by award-winning authors.
Our books are never dumbed-down or patronising. They are compelling stories that children enjoy reading- very accessible so that readers build up confidence.
We make sure that our covers look good – they don’t look like schoolbooks or educational titles. Children are often embarrassed about having reading problems, so Barrington Stoke books don’t look any different to other publishers’ books. And there is never anything on the cover to suggest the books are for struggling readers.
Every detail matters
· We use our own font, Barrington Stoke Roman, which was designed for us by language specialists. It’s proven to help dyslexics avoid mixing up letters and ensure a smooth read.
· We print on cream or off-white paper, which is easier for dyslexics than reading black print on white.
· Paragraphs are never too long, and dialogue is clearly marked.
· Uneven lines help the reader keep his or her place
· Text size and line spacing are carefully calculated and tested – not too small, not too large – so we know we’re using the clearest and most readable layout.
· All books have chapters, to provide lots of natural breaks for readers.
You can find out more about us by visiting our website www.barringtonstoke.co.uk
however, I would be delighted to visit you too.
Educational Sales Representative
Mob:078 464 89880
Barrington Stoke Publishers
Children’s Publisher of the Year 2007 (Independent Publishing Awards)
Company reg no: SC169395
*Shortlisted for two 2008 Independent Publishing Awards – Children’s Publisher of the Year and Educational Publisher of the Year*