As part of the implementation of the Additional Support For Learning Act (ongoing since November 2005) NHS Lothian have been redesigning some aspects of service delivery and refocusing priorities with the intention of developing sustainable services for children. These services are to be part of a holistic, solution-focused approach to ensure the equitable management of children with additional support needs. Jill Gorzkowska is the NHS ASL Therapy Link (Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy and Speech and Language Therapy) for East Lothian. Jill works with Liz Herd, Inclusion and Equality Officer in the Department of Education and Children’s Services in East Lothian, to collaborate on planning and service delivery. Additional funding to support specific ASL projects will cease at the end of June 2008. Here is a brief summary of what has been happening this session, from August to December 2007.
- NHS Lothian’s Version 2 of ‘CSP Guidance For Health Professionals’ has been distributed.
- Jill is part of the East Lothian CSP Quality Assurance Group.
- The debate surrounding the term ‘significance’ continues – therapists in every authority in Scotland continue to discuss how to take this forward.
- Multi-agency CSP training has been arranged for 3 twilight sessions in January and February and also, Lynda Brady (Admin Officer ASN) will update therapy staff re new CSP admin procedures in schools.
- Representatives from Health are involved in the East Lothian project to evaluate how the ASL Act has improved services for children and young people.
- Therapy Consultation Clinics continue to be successful and well used – they are fully booked up until the end of January.
- Health ASL website is regularly updated http://www.asl.scot.nhs.uk – this is being promoted at SFL cluster meetings (see https://www.edubuzz.org/supportforall ).
- Joint Working Practices Group (Therapy Team Leaders and Education Dept staff) continues to meet to monitor and take forward joint working.
- Jill provides support and advice to therapists about ASL matters (including paperwork for CSPs).
- Multi-disciplinary assessment project – using video as an assessment/ communication too.
- Multi-agency ADHD Pathways Group.
- Jill plans to raise awareness of ASL Profile at forthcoming SFL Cluster Meetings.
If you would like further information about anything in this article or about previous work on the ASL Helath Project, you can contact Jill Gorzkowska at email@example.com or Liz Herd at firstname.lastname@example.org .