School open day – Lawthorn Primary School, North Ayrshire
Main focus: Sustainable Development Education.
Wednesday, 15 June 2011, 9.30 am – 2.45 pm
The highly successful programme of Developing Global Citizens study visits to schools around the country continues with Lawthorn Primary School, winner of the Best Sustainable School Award 2010.
Participants will have the opportunity to find out for themselves how the school’s systematic approach to global citizenship education acts as a key driver for enriched learning across the whole curriculum and discover how this has transformed the attitudes of pupils and the wider community.
The visit will allow practitioners to find out about:
• implementing a highly effective carbon reduction scheme using the LTS online ‘global footprint calculator’ administered by pupils
• utilising green spaces surrounding the school as ‘outdoor classrooms’
• building strong partnerships with parents and a wide range of local community groups and businesses.
• planting trees and growing food in the school allotment
• the impact of active and vibrant pupil- led ‘eco’ steering groups which drive many initiatives and campaigns. This includes sustainable school travel, waste minimisation and support for wider sustainability education programmes
For more information see: Lawthorn Primary School open day programme Or visit our LTS Sustainable Development Education Glow group.
How to book places for this event are limited so please book early to avoid disappointment.
To book, please email: globalcitizens@LTScotland.org.uk or if you have any queries please phone 0141 282 5172.
This event is free of charge.