East Lothian Council’s Arts Service is proud to present East Lothian’s Youth Music Initiative (YMI). A dedicated Arts Service team manages the YMI in East Lothian, funded by Scottish Government through Creative Scotland.
This year YMI celebrates twenty years of delivering creative music projects to young people across Scotland, continuing to fulfil the YMI Scottish Government commitment that every school pupil in Scotland should be offered a year of free music tuition by the time they leave primary school. Check out the short film below!
East Lothian Council YMI is proud to collaborate with professional artists / musicians and partnership organisations including ELC Instrumental Music Service to provide a diverse programme of high quality and accessible musical experience as well as training for teachers and practitioners to ensure a legacy of music-making in schools and community. We promote equal opportunity of access for all pupils to participate as well special opportunities for target groups.
YMI music projects are offered to schools at no cost, and can be extended in length where schools are able to contribute further funding such as PEF.
Youth Music initiative works closely with the current priorities for the National Improvement Framework for Scottish Education. To find out how music-making contributes to these goals click HERE.
YMI aims to:
- Tackle inequality and engage young people (from pre school upwards) who would not otherwise be able to participate in meaningful and high-quality music making opportunities.
- Enable young people to achieve their potential in or through music making.
- Support East Lothian Council’s increased focus on health and wellbeing.
- Offer musicmaking opportunities through the use of digital technology.
- Support the professional development of YMI practitioners for the benefit of young people.
Remember to use #YMusicMatters and #YMIScotland in your social posts, and to tag the Creative Scotland social channels. • Instagram – @CreativeScots • Twitter – @CreativeScots • Facebook – @CreativeScotland